Decision Support Systems
Reducing HR, Recruitment and Recruitment Agency Costs Through Effective Skills Location
Locating the people and skills which can be of greatest benefit to a particular decision, task, project or vacancy can be a challenging prospect.
For medium to large sized organisations with several hundred, to tens of thousands, of employees the location of skills, knowledge and experience can be highly ineffective without the support of technology.
Are you recruiting skills in one part of the organisation whilst releasing similar skills in another part? Are you taking on contractors when you have salaried staff available with the appropriate skills and experience? Are you paying agency fees when you could have recruited internally? Are you able to locate potential internal candidates quickly and efficiently rather than going to market to recruit? Are you trying to locate potential candidates from their job code or title alone?
Diegesis solutions enable you to locate people and skills even if you do not have a name to search for.
Understand the skills available from within your organisation based on what they are doing now rather than what is on their (out of date?) CV from when they joined the company (using advanced entity extraction, relationship analysis, linguistic analysis and concept extraction techniques).
Benefit from Web 2.0 and collaboration environments to locate the ‘best person for the job’.
With globalisation and international operations supported by substantial communications infrastructures and a more mobile workforce the potential benefits to be gained from the organisation’s resources are immense - yet most organisations are still not maximising the potential from their existing people and their HR investments.
The potential within the organisation is going to waste if managers and HR do not have visibility of the true and current capabilities available to them from the enterprise’s employees.
Lack of visibility and a lack of up-to-date information on employee skills, experience, achievements, qualifications, interests and career objectives leads to duplication of skills, additional HR costs in recruitment and release, key staff leaving due to dissatisfaction and extended time-to-performance for new recruits. It can also increase the risk profile for major projects and new strategies and cause companies not to pursue viable opportunities due to being unaware of the knowledge and capabilities available from within the organisation.
Locating knowledge which only resides within someone else’s head and finding someone with the talent/skills that you need, requires you to locate the individual(s) with whom that knowledge or those skills reside. If you do not already know the person in question then how are you going to rapidly discover whether that knowledge or those skills exist within the organisation and if they do – who has them?
Enhanced search capabilities allow you to search for ‘entities’ such as a ‘person’ or a ‘document’ or a ‘location’. This means that you can run a federated search across all repositories (to which security rights have been granted) and search for a ‘document’ which contains a ‘person’ associated to [insert topic] in [insert country/location].
If you now apply this capability along with full text indexing and search capabilities to the official document and data stores as well as to the ‘social software’ environment such as blogs, wikis, and communities and your search is likely to find the authors of white papers, previous bid documents including project teams used, hits on the skills database and potentially a personal blog from a subject matter expert.
Now you have a far more in-depth and comprehensive list of potential candidates combined with the raw information from the skills database to select the best person for the task at hand.
Key capabilities of enhanced search include:
- Search across your entire information domain with appropriate user security and access controls maintained.
- Search on document content not just titles and file names. Go beyond keyword search and beyond ‘web search’ style search to gain search results based on the meaning of words in context.
- Natural language search terms. Write the search the way you would ask it of another person – not just keywords.
- Semantic search and disambiguation. For example, when your search includes the word ‘set’, or ‘polo’, or ‘June’, which definition of those words do you want results for? The search engine helps resolve this through linguistic analysis and user navigation support, ensuring the results set is as pertinent as possible to the user’s intent.
- Enhanced language support for multiple languages (Search across information stored in multiple languages).
- Enterprise security features
- Automatic spell check to suggest corrections for misspelled search terms
- Predefined links means that search results can include associated pre-defined links defined by the administrator
- Enhanced performance and use reports as well as problem reporting features
- Gain insight into other potentially pertinent information through linguistic analysis so that a search for ‘vehicle’ also returns results for types of vehicles e.g. lorry, car, truck, motorbike ... Enable search for all variants of a verb. Enable a search for ‘election’ to also locate items with ‘vote’ or ‘ballot’ or other related terms.
- Automatically handle synonyms, acronyms, abbreviations, variant spellings and contractions - providing results for the contraction and its extended form and for accepted variant spellings - where beneficial to do so.
- Understand location concepts e.g. a search for South America can return results for countries and locations within South America – not just for items containing the term ‘South America’.
- Extract telephone numbers even if they are not labelled as such.
- Find ‘people’ even if you do not know their name(s).
- Embed multi system search into portal applications to provide a seamless user interface.
Using a combination of advanced techniques including natural language processing, linguistic analysis, semantic analysis, fuzzy matching, parametric search, federated search, lemmatization and normalisation the enhanced search capabilities delivered by Diegesis provide enhanced efficiency and productivity in locating potential candidates to fulfil vacancies from the existing employees and saves on recruitment administration and costs (such as advertising, agency fees and new recruit ‘on boarding’).
Download our White Paper – HR Performance Optimization.